There are four different levels of GMC registrations, all which must be held alongside a licence to practise.
Provisional registration – This allows newly qualified doctors to undertake the general clinical training required for full registration. Doctors holding this registration may only work in Foundation Year 1 posts
Full registration – This enables doctors to work in any form of professional medical practice in the UK. This excludes Consultants however who must also hold a Specialist registration – unless it is a locum consultant position.
Specialist registration - All consultants (other than locum consultants) must be on the specialist register of the GMC before they can take up a post. You must first hold a full registration to be eligible for specialist registration and you may also be required to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility (CESR) if you have not already completed a PMETB approved training programme.
GP Registration - if you are a GP in the UK Health Services, other than a trainee, you must be on the GP Register. It is not possible to be entered on the GP Register without also holding full registration.
Visit the GMC website for information on how to assess the type of registration you may be eligible for.
Doctors applying from overseas
If you are applying for full registration with the GMC from outside of the UK, this is normally obtained through either:
• Sitting the PLAB exam (Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board)
• Having a recognised higher qualification such as MRCP
More approved qualifications can be found here
You should be able to demonstrate a good understanding of the English language. From 18 June 2014, the minimum IELTS scores accepted by the GMC will be the following;
• A score of at least 7.0 in each of the four areas tested (speaking, listening, reading and writing)
• And an overall score of at least 7.5
Two less common routes for registration to be obtained is through ‘sponsorship’ or by having your experience as a Consultant recognised and equivalent to the UK standard.
Please note the following when beginning the GMC registration process:
• Only original documents will be accepted
• To complete your registration with the GMC you need to visit the GMC office in the UK
• A photograph will be taken by the GMC which will be available to any employers on request
• You will have to obtain a Visa – see our Visa section for more details